I think sometimes we forget that more than half of our body’s are made up of water. So getting sufficient amounts of water is one of the most crucial ways we can maintain a healthy body.
Water is used in our cells, organs, and tissues to help regulate our body temperature and to make sure all of our other bodily functions run smoothly.
Unfortunately, most of my clients show a deficiency in water when we run them through a bioelectrical impedance analysis. I find that many people don’t drink enough water throughout the day to make up for the water lost through breathing, sweating, digestion, etc.
Dehydration is not your friend when you are trying to lose weight.
Dehydration often leads to cravings especially cravings of sweet things. This is because water is used by organs to help release glycogens and other components of your energy stores. If your organs aren’t able to release the glycogens they will not be able to give you energy so your body will start to crave that energy, which in its quickest form comes from sugar.
Oftentimes we have a craving or we think we are hungry when in reality we are just thirsty for some water!! Our bodies are very good at alerting us when we are need of nutrients, but it isn’t specific all of the time. So, we have to remember to keep hydrated and to try to drink a glass of water before eating an unnecessary snack or craving.
How much water should you be drinking a day?
The general rule is that women need about 2.2 liters (9 cups) of water a day and men 3 liters (13 cups). And another general rule I give my clients is to drink an extra glass of water for any alcoholic drink they have.
Are you having a hard time getting in your daily water requirements?
Here are some tips:
- drink a glass of water first thing in the morning
- drink a glass of water before every meal
- buy a new water bottle that you love and will enjoy drinking out of
- if you don’t like water, you can infuse your water with any fruit or vegetable or herb (strawberries, cucumbers, lemon, orange, lime, mint, etc)
- if you still have trouble getting in water, then try to eat more fruits and vegetables because they have a high water content.